The word doula is an ancient Greek term for servant that has been translated into “caregiver” or "woman of service" and has been used over the past several decades to describe a professional trained in childbirth who provides emotional, physical and informational support to the mother who is expecting, is experiencing labor, or has recently given birth. The doula’s purpose is to help women have a safe, memorable and empowering birthing experience. Support can consist of anything from recommending books about pregnancy to helping make a birth plan to offering a hand to hold or giving a massage during labor or an abortion procedure. Some doulas have training in more than one area and are able to serve as more than one type of doula.
Doulas do not provide any type of medical care. However, they are knowledgeable in many medical aspects of labor and delivery. Consequently, they can help their clients gain a better understanding of the procedures and possible complication during late pregnancy or delivery. Having a doula can provide pregnant people with the tools to self-advocate in a medical setting and ensure that their experiences are honored and that they are safe. In addition, doulas are there to help validate the women's experiences and choices surrounding their pregnancy outcomes, on their terms.©
- During delivery, doulas are in constant and close proximity to the mother.
- They have the ability to provide comfort with pain relief techniques that include breathing techniques, relaxation techniques, massage, and laboring positions.
- Doulas also encourage participation from the partner and offer reassurance.
- A doula acts as an advocate for the mother, encouraging and helping her fulfill specific desires that she might have for her birth.
- The goal of a doula is to help the mother experience a positive and safe birth, whether at home, birth center or hospital, un-medicated birth, medicated birth or cesarean.
BIRTH SERVICES & SUPPORT
You can contact us to request an initial interview where we will meet in person and discuss your needs and expectations. I will explain my services and what I can provide for your experience. After you have made the decision to hire me, Amankay Birth support services include:
- 2 pre-natal visits:
In the pre-natal visits we discuss your birth vision and I help you create a birth plan if you have not already done so
- Unlimited email and phone support
- 24/7 on call support starting 2 weeks before your estimated due date and until you give birth
- Continuous mental, emotional and physical support throughout your birthing time: Depending on your preferences, comfort measures I may use include, Gentle touch, Positioning, Aromatherapy, Reiki, Therapeutic touch, Guided visualization, Verbal reassurance, Crystal and Gem therapy, and/or Hypnosis support*
- 1 postpartum visit
*If you have already completed any hypnosis for childbirth class such as Hypnobabies® or HypnoBirthing®, I am qualified to support you with the hypnosis tools that you have already learned. For more information about hypnosis for childbirth classes on Miami click here .
Discounts may apply when combined with other services we offer. Sliding scale available for low income families . Additional travel fees may apply if outside of our local area.©
For a free consultation and learn more about my services